What is Accelerated Reader?
Accelerated Reader, also known as AR, is a computer program that helps teachers manage and monitor your children’s independent reading practice.
Here’s how it works:
- The book search will match books for your students by interest levels that are challenging without being frustrating.
- Your child gets to pick their own books, rather than having one assigned to them.
- After they finish the book, the teacher will have them take a short quiz on the computer.
- Accelerated Reader divides books into four interest levels:
- • LG (Lower Grades, K–3)
- • MG (Middle Grades, 4–8)
- • MG+ (Middle Grades Plus, 6 and up)
- • UG (Upper Grades, 9–12)
- Reports and quiz results are used to help guide the students on their progress and can help direct ongoing reading practices.
- The search has over 145,000 book titles. All have comprehensive descriptions about the book, ratings and AR test number (some not available).
Check to see if your teacher is using the AR program.
Parent’s Guide to Accelerated Reader – Questions and answers (PDF)